Published by Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: May 1st 2018
Pitched as the never-before-told origin story of the sea witch from Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid" told in the vein of Wicked – from the villainess's point of view
A beautiful picture of the Havnestad Coast where THE SEA WITCH takes place
The Sea Witch Fun Facts!
Eight fun facts (one for each tentacle!) about THE SEA WITCH by Sarah Henning
1. First things first, I’m going to disappoint you: this isn’t Ursula’s origin tale.
Still reading? I love you.
3. I gravitate toward writing strong women who work for what they want within the context of real history. Therefore, in many ways, THE SEA WITCH is pretty much true history reflected back through a funhouse mirror. The time, place and plot have touchstones in real events and people, with a fantastical twist, because magic makes everything more epic.
5. Example B of funhouse mirror history: The Øldenburgs are famous for their own version of the Salem Witch Trials. The twist in the Danish version being that they were presided over by the king, Christian IV, who liked calling himself “The Witch Hunter King” nearly as much as he liked to tie innocent women to ladders and throw them into a fire.
He was a power-hungry jerk who was truly afraid of women who spoke their minds. I mean, let’s face it, a lot of women who were combative were accused as witches back in the day because that was scary to powerful men who couldn’t take it (and, cough, still can’t). Christian IV lived 200 years before my tale, but his actual actions have very real consequences for the main characters in THE SEA WITCH, two of who are his descendants and one who is actually a witch.
6. That means secrets. Lots of secrets. Deadly, important secrets baked into the very fabric of the story and its characters.
7. Oooh, speaking of characters, want to know my dream cast list? Well, if we can reverse times so the ages would line up (and with magic, we could, right?), here would be my dream cast for my four major characters (clockwise from upper left): Evie, Iker, Nik and Annemette.
8. I hope you’re excited to meet them on the page and to join me for more adventures of historical badass ladies in many more books to come. THE SEA WITCH releases May 1, 2018 from Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins.
*~~About the Author~~*
Don’t forget to come back tomorrow to check out another enchantingly epic #EE18ers post! 😉