1. Were there any characters that surprised you while writing? (Meaning- did any of them take control of the story)
I’ve never had a character take control, but I’ve definitely misunderstood my characters. I think periodically I’ll get stuck in a kind of narrow perception of who my characters are, mostly I think because I’m writing from the POV of my main character. Some of my favorite things in my books happen when I realize that mistake.
2. Did you have a favorite snack while writing/editing/revising SMS? If so, what was it?
Frozen yogurt. Always. I make my own and I’ve recently discovered the joys of frozen avocado in froyo smoothies. One day I’m going to perfect and post the recipe.
3. What was your reaction when you saw the cover? Does it represent anything in the book?
I almost cried when I saw the cover. It’s so stunning. It was created by the illustration and design team of Eleanor Davis and Katherine Guillen. For me it represents Monty and where she’s at: living in this magical place, full of frustration and hope.
4. I notice that you travel often. Is there any place in particular that inspired a setting or event in SMS?
California, where I currently live, is full of inspiring landscapes. I try to go to Joshua Tree at least once a year, which is probably the most magical place on earth.
5. Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what type of music?
It entirely depends on the scene. For this book I listened to a lot of Sia’s 1000 Forms of Fear, which come to think of it seems pretty apt.
6. What’s your favorite food? (curious minds want to know 😉 )
Two words: frozen yogurt. Kind of can’t stress that enough. I really just… love it. Everyone should go out and get a magic bullet and make their own smoothies. Do it right now. You won’t be disappointed.
About the Author
It’s Giveaway Time!