It’s time to meet the 22nd featured author of the SSS! Introducing…Nicole Castroman!
Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything. This is their story.
Edward “Teach” Drummond, son of one of Bristol’s richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There’s just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back.
Following her parents’ deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to Curaçao—where her mother was born—when she’s stuck in England?
From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay.
10 Reasons Why I Wrote BLACKHEARTS
By Nicole Castroman
- Only the last two years of Blackbeard’s life are documented. His young life is a mystery. For a writer, this was too good of an opportunity to pass up.
- People have always had a fascination with pirates, because pirates spurn the conventional and embrace freedom, riches, and unchartered territories.
- This kind of contradicts #2, but I didn’t want to simply write a story with a teenage boy on a ship and have him “act like a pirate.” That would have been too easy. I wanted to delve deeper into his past and write about what might have led him to leave his home behind and become one of the most notorious swashbucklers to sail the seas.
- It was believed Blackbeard was educated, because he could read and write. Only wealthy people were educated in those days, so Edward Teach had to come from a prosperous family.
- The moment I came up with the idea for BLACKHEARTS, I knew immediately who I wanted his love interest to be. She had to be truly special to capture the attention of such a larger than life figure as Edward Teach, and she needed to be strong and kind of sassy, someone who could hold her own.
- It’s believed that Edward Teach wasn’t Blackbeard’s true name, but that he’d changed it to protect his relatives at home.
- During his pirating days, Blackbeard’s flag ship was a massive French slaving ship that he captured and renamed Queen Anne’s Revenge.
- There are lots of rumors about Blackbeard’s cruelty, but there are also reports of him being quite amiable and almost forgiving and generous to those that cooperated with him. I’m not implying that he was sweet, but he wasn’t as barbaric and demented as other pirates who tortured their victims for fun.
- He himself created his image. He was large in stature, larger than most men at the time. He altered his appearance to make him appear more menacing. Rather than fighting him, most people capitulated when he demanded things.
- I’m a romantic and enjoy love stories. I truly hope people swoon when they read about Anne and Teach.
Born in Sandy, Utah, Nicole was lucky enough to come with her very own best friend…she has a twin sister who can read her mind and finish her sentences for her.
At the age of 13, she went to Europe for the first time and it changed her life. She loves learning about different people, languages and cultures and speaks fluent German. She knows enough Spanish to get herself into trouble and can still read the Cyrillic alphabet from when she studied Russian.
She received her B.A. from Brigham Young University and has lived in Germany, Austria and two different places called Georgia. One is located on the Black Sea. The other is the state of Georgia where she now lives with her handsome husband and two beautiful children who continue to amaze her.